Scanning an Authentify Art SecureID Tag or Gallery Label is as simple as waving your smartphone...
How do I use my iPhone to read an Authentify tag or label?
Scanning an Authentify Art SecureID Tag or Gallery Label is as simple as waving your smartphone within a few inches of the Near Field Communication (NFC) chip itself. Most modern smartphones have NFC Reading enabled by default, but here's a quick guide just in case it's not working for you.
How to Enable NFC Reading on Your iPhone
The more recent models of iPhone use what is called Background Tag Reading. This means that as long as the iPhone screen is on, your NFC Tag Reader is active and can read NFC tags if you place your iPhone nearby.
Which iPhones Allow NFC Reading?
If you don’t have the option to add the NFC Tag Reader to your iPhone, then either your phone uses automatic Background Tag Reading, or your iPhone is too old to have NFC capabilities. The full list of iPhones that support automatic NFC reading is as follows:
- iPhone 14, 14 Plus, 14 Pro, and 14 Pro Max
- iPhone 13, 13 Pro, 13 Pro Max, and 13 Mini
- iPhone SE (3rd Gen)
- iPhone 12, 12 Pro, 12 Pro Max, and 12 Mini
- iPhone SE (3rd gen)
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd gen)
- iPhone XS and XS Max
- iPhone XR
Manual NFC Tag Readers
Older models of the iPhone require you to turn on the NFC Tag Reader manually in order for you to use NFC.
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
To turn on the NFC Tag Reader on older iPhones:
- If you have an iPhone 8 or iPhone 7, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the Control Center.
- If you have an iPhone X, swipe down from the top right-hand corner of the screen to open the Control Center.
- Tap the NFC Tag Reader icon to turn on NFC. You can now use NFC to interact with other devices or tags.
If you don’t see the NFC Tag Reader icon in Control Center on iPhone 7, 8, or X, you’ll need to add it to your Control Center through Settings.
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Control Center.
- Scroll down to the More Controls section and tap the Plus (+) icon next to NFC Tag Reader.
- Repeat steps 1-3 above.
How to Use NFC on iPhone
Using NFC on iPhone is incredibly simple. All you need to do is bring your iPhone into close proximity with the NFC device or tag.
- If you’re using an iPhone XR or later, simply wake your iPhone to turn on the screen and Background Tag Reading will be enabled.
- If you’re using an iPhone 7, 8, or X, follow the steps above to turn on the NFC Tag Reader.
- Bring your iPhone close to the NFC tag or device. You’ll see a notification appear on your screen that an NFC item has been detected.
- Tap the notification.